How to Get Rid of a Double Chin Fast
Want to learn how to lose a double chin but don’t know where to start? You’re in luck! In the following article, we’ll address everything from the cause of the fat under your chin, to exercises to lose your double chin, and more!
- What Causes Your Double Chin?
- Exercises for Double Chin
- Diet to Get Rid of Under Chin Fat
- Posture to Hide Double Chin
- Double Chin Removal Surgery
- Makeup to Hide Double Chin
What Causes Your Double Chin?
Double chins are caused by a combination of factors, some that you control and some that you do not.
- Genetics – The natural shape of your face and where your body “likes” to store fat are determined by your genes. Those of us with rounder faces will also have a tougher time, as it makes your double chin more noticeable.
- Aging – As we age, our skin loses its elasticity, or “tightness,” meaning double chins appear more easily.
- Excess Fat – No surprise here. If you’re carrying some extra pounds, there’s a good chance that your body will store at least some of it under your chin unfortunately. You may also have some loose skin under your chin if you’ve recently lost a large amount of weight.
Exercises for Double Chin
The following double chin exercises are simple movements that will have some effect and can be done at home, in your car, office, or anywhere where you don’t mind people staring at you like you’re crazy.
With your head at its normal angle, bring your lower lip forward as far as you’re able. You should feel some your skin tightening under your chin. Hold for 15 seconds and repeat 2-3 times per day.
Move your lower jaw downward as far as you’re able as if you were trying to eat something very large. Pause briefly when your jaw is at its lowest point then return to the beginning position. Do this 20 total times in the morning and another 20 again at night.
Diet to Get Rid of Under Chin Fat
The best and most effective way to get rid of under chin fat is by maintaining a proper diet and exercise program. It won’t give you instant results but it’s the only surefire solution not involving surgery.
Make sure you’ve lowered your daily number of calories so that you can lose weight and keep your sanity.
- Begin by finding out how much your body burns everyday using our BMR calculator.
- Next, subtract 500 calories from that number, which will give your daily calorie goal.
- Eating at your daily calorie goal will mean you’ll lose 1 pound per week (3500 calories = 1 pound).
As you lose weight, the fat under your chin will begin to disappear. How quickly depends on your diet and genetics. Find more help by taking a look at our Diet section.
Image Credit: pfl
Posture to Hide Double Chin
The quickest way to hide a double chin is by fixing your posture.
What to do? Work on remembering to keep your back straight, shoulders back, and your head held high with your chin up. Don’t overthink it too much, generally the posture you assume when you want to show confidence will achieve the effect of making your double chin less noticeable.
What NOT to do? Don’t let your head or jaw droop while walking or sitting. A simple way to avoid this is to just make sure you’re not staring at the ground.
Double Chin Removal Surgery
Surgery to remove a double chin is known as mentoplasty or lumpectomy. This should be your absolute, positively last resort. Maintaining a proper diet, using the exercises for your double chin we outlined above, and practicing correct posture should be enough to give you the results you desire.
Makeup to Hide Double Chin
Diet and exercise changes aside, there are some fast ways to hide a double chin just by accessorizing or using makeup.
- Highlight your jaw line by applying a dark foundation shade
- Draw attention away from your chin by using colorful blush
- Bring the focus to your eyes with eyeliner and mascara
- Use neutral shades of lipstick that won’t draw attention to your mouth area
Want more help with losing fat? Read our article on the 7 Secrets of Skinny Girls!