The Best Butt Exercise You’re Not Doing
We all have our goals when we get into the gym and there’s some that keep coming up over and over again no matter girl you talk to – “I want a flatter stomach for summer, “I want to look better naked,” or my all-time favorite and the subject of today’s post: “I want a better butt.”
ME TOO! Well, we all do. Every woman wants her clothes to fit better and to feel more attractive and confident, and a sexy backside is a big part of that for most of us.
Great Butt Exercises You’re Probably Already Doing (or Should Be!)
It’s not really any secret how to get there. Exercise, eat right. Repeat. And when we get started on making the J-Lo’s and Kim Kardashian’s of the world wish they had OUR booty, there’s some exercises we’ve probably all tried. Here’s a quick rundown if you’re new to weight lifting or fitness:
- Leg kickbacks: You can do these kneeling standing, at home or in the gym. They’re one of my favorites because of these reasons, and because they WORK. Simple as it sounds kick one leg back, as if you were doing a slow, long extended running motion. Do 10 reps then alternate legs for three sets. These can also be done with a cable machine.
- Squats: These are great because of just how many muscles they work. In addition to your glutes (aka your butt), you’ll work your quads, hamstrings, as well as your strengthening your core. And again, you can do these at home or in the gym – so no excuses, ladies!
- Hip-lift progression: Lay a mat on the floor for cushioning if you have one, then lie on your back with your arms at your sides. Raise your pelvis up off the floor while squeezing your glutes, hold for 1 second at the top of the motion. Add intensity by alternating raising a leg to the sky during each rep.
The Best Butt Exercise You’re Not Doing (and Should Be!) aka The Holy Grail of Booty: Glute Ham Raises
Finally, what you’ve all been waiting for. The answer to your lifelong question of how do I get a great booty? How do I make my butt the one I’ve always wanted?
The answer: Glute Ham Raises!
If you already knew that, then quit gloating! And after all, we all need a little reminder of the things we should be doing from time to time anyways. Here’s a quick rundown on how to do glute ham raises, aka the best butt exercise you’re not doing:
- Start kneeling on the ground with something, or someone, restraining you at your ankles.
- Lower yourself down SLOWLY so that your chest is falling towards the floor.
- Catch yourself with your hands as you reach the floor, then using your hamstrings and glutes, raise yourself back up to the starting position. If you’re doing these on a glute ham raise machine at a gym, you’ll have no need for the catching yourself part obviously.
If you need a little more help on how to do glute ham raises safely and effectively, here’s a great demonstration video that should help you out:
Hope you enjoyed learning about my favorite, and in my opinion the best butt exercise glute ham raises! I know when I added these into my work out (I like to do them on a leg day, or if I’m traveling I’ll improvise and do about 5 to 6 sets every few days). Give them a shot and I’m sure you and your booty will be all the better for it!