Many people look at yoga as nothing more than a relaxation method. It’s not a form of exercise but a simply way to release you from the world. Surely, it is not something that will help you get in shape, right? Can yoga help you lose weight?
The answer is a resounding YES! Bikram yoga, just as an example, has been found by researchers to burn more than 300 calories per hour in women, and even higher for men (jerks).
And though you may have heard about the multiple studies backing up the weight loss benefits of yoga, and perhaps even observed it in your own life, you’re probably still wondering WHY and HOW it works, right?
Image Credit: fitting-me
How yoga to lose weight works
When a person is stressed and disappointed, it can trigger the body to produce a stress hormone known as cortisol. This hormone results in stress-related overeating. The function of cortisol is to increase the blood sugar to increase your energy levels to prepare you for a fight-or-flight situation.
This excess energy is then stored as fat. Thus, to prevent your body from producing this hormone, you need to stay calm and focused. Relaxation can help you achieve this state, and we all know yoga helps promote relaxation. This is how yoga can help you lose weight.
Now that you know why yoga for weight loss works, let’s get into doing some actual poses!
- Get on your hands and knees, sucking in your belly.
- Go into a plank position keeping your butt elevated and your lower belly sucked in.
- Keep your body position firm and hold for 1 minute.
- Keep your feet hip width apart with your palms facing the front.
- Soften your knees and concentrate on feeling your breath inhale and exhale.
- Close your eyes and keep your shoulders back and abs tight.
- Calmy breath in and out for 1 minute.
- Lie on your belly, then one at a time lift each leg, spreading your toes before placing your feet back on the floor.
- Press all your toes and knees into the floor.
- Take a deep breath in and push up off the floor keeping your legs firmly on the floor.
- Stretch out through the crown of your head, extending your belly.
- Exhale then slowly lower yourself to the floor. Repeat 4 more times.
Make sure to pin this in case you need to watch the videos again later!